Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Ultimate Tribute

I love it when my brother, Taylor comes to Atlanta. My brother and I have always been extremely close. I get really excited a week before he arrives. Last month he came in town for the National High School Band Competition and National Drumline Competition. Last year, his high school band won the Drumline Competition. My brother is a high school band director at Warren County High School in Warrenton, NC.

My brother had not seen me since I lost my hair. I knew that he had been worried about me. I was happy that he could see for himself that I was doing well. Unfortunately, the day that he arrived in town, I found out that my white blood count was extremely low again, and that it would be unsafe for me to be around crowds. It crushed me to know that I would have to tell my brother that I wouldn't be able to attend his competitions.

I went to the band's hotel to see my brother and tell him the news in person. I could tell that he was really hurt. Later that evening, he called to tell me that his drumline had won the National Championship again!!!!! He followed by saying, "Kim, you have to come to our show tomorrow." I knew then that I had to take the risk and support my brother.

The next day, I met my brother at the hotel and ran errands with him. We made a stop to pick up pink balloons. I thought that that was really odd. When I dropped him off at the hotel, I assured him that I would be there in person to see his show.

Mr. Wonderful and I showed up at showtime, but they were running late. I texted my brother to let him know that I was there. When the band got on the field, the announcer started talking about breast cancer. I was shocked and turned to look at Mr. Wonderful. The emcee then said, "On June 2nd, breast cancer hit close to home. Our band director's sister was diagnosed with breast cancer. We are happy that she is here and would like her to stand." Still shocked, I stood up and waved at my brother. The emcee then said that the band was dedicating the show to me. That's when the ugly cry began! I lost it! I even saw Mr. Wonderful get a little misty. It's crazy, but I'm crying now while typing this blog.

It was the most beautiful band show!!!!! The flag girls performed with pink flags. At the end of the show, after performing "There Goes My Baby," the band released 60 pink balloons. You could hear the crowd say, "Aww!" in unison. Everyone kept telling me, "Your brother really loves you." My brother's little band ended up winning 3rd place in the National Band Competition!!!!! They competed against bands that were 3 times their size. I'm so proud of them. Anyone who saw that show could see the heart put into that show.

I later found out that my brother had been doing that show all season, but only recently was able to tell people why and include my name and story. I asked my brother's friend how the show idea came about. He said that my brother had not been handling my diagnosis well and doesn't like the fact that he can't be with me in Atlanta. My brother never discusses his feelings with me. I know that it is hard for him to see me go through cancer a second time. His friend said that dedicating the band season to me was my brother's way of being with me.

That...is the ultimate tribute!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow what an amazing story, I'm crying typing this. Your brother epitomizes what real sibling love is...

    ReplyDelete