Friday, July 23, 2010

I Will Survive

My surgery was on Monday, but I am doing amazingly well. The only pain that I having is from the two drains that are coming out of my chest wall amd a little discomfort from the tissue expander that is stretching the skin to make room for my implant. Ouch! I'm not a fan of pain medications so I am grinning and bearing it. I have the most wonderful family and friends. Over 20 people were at the hospital for me when I had my surgery, including my boss/mentor and 87 year old great-aunt. I know that my grandmother was smiling down from Heaven. Even my doctors were touched by the support. I hate that my family and friends have to go through cancer with me again. Both of my parents slept in the hospital room with me that night. I guess that they were afraid to leave my side.

Unfortunately, all did not go well during the surgery. The cancer has spread to my lymph node. I found out that information in the recovery room. That means that I will definitely have to get chemotherapy again. Shoot! I finally got my hair to the length and color that I want. Oh well! This too shall pass. I picked out a cute lace-front wig that matches my hair texture and length a couple of weeks ago. Who knew that a synthetic wig could cost $700!

I have the greatest plastic surgeon, Dr. Albert Losken, and surgeon, Dr. Rogsbert Phillips. Dr. Losken's resident asked me what I thought about the way my breast looked. I told her that I wasn't ready to look at my breast yet. She then said, "Trust me; look at it." My breast looks awesome for what is has been through. It is half the original size, but I still have cleavage. The expanders hurt, but they will help me get to my D cup. My mother says that if I get Ds, she is going to pop them. :) She thinks that I will look like Dolly Parton. I weigh 100 pounds when I am soaking wet. It saddens me to know that all of this modern technology wasn't available for my aunts when they went through this years ago. My mom and aunt have been showing my cleavage off all this week to anyone who is curious.

Mr. Wonderful has been there every step of the way. He is ultra-private, but he gave me permission to discuss him on my blog. I had been avoiding him because I didn't want him to see me in pain and not looking up to par, but he insisted on seeing me. He has spent time with me and my family. I reminded him of my upcoming chemo, hair loss, and vomiting, but he still says that it will not change anything. He even admonished me in front of my family and told me to stop pushing him away. Sexy, huh? I am so glad that there are still some mature men in the world who are not superficial.

Congrats to my cousins, Stacey and Natalie, on the birth of my new cousin, Stacey. It's so great to have some good news in the family for once. Ok, nap time! Love to all!

1 comment:

  1. Kim thank you so much for being willing to share your story. I will definitely send your link to a friend who is going through chemo.

    ReplyDelete