Sunday, July 18, 2010
Thanks To Lance Armstrong, I Am Having A Baby
As soon as my doctor told me that I would have to undergo chemotherapy, my first thought was that I needed to preserve my eggs. I am 40 years old, single, and without kids. As soon as I was able, I went on the Fertile Hope website. Fertile Hope is a program funded by Lance Armstrong and his ex-wife to help individuals who are about to undergo chemotherapy with fertility issues. Chemo can make one infertile. I did my research and found a wonderful doctor, Dr. Robert Straub, in the Atlanta area who will be responsible for my egg harvesting and storage. Thanks to Lance Armstrong, most of the costs will be paid by his foundation. Egg harvesting can cost more than $10,000. When Dr. Straub asked if I had a sperm donor, I told him that I have been looking for a sperm donor for 40 years with no success. When I saw him crack a smile, I knew that he was the man for the job. I wish that all doctors were as empathetic and brilliant as he is. I am not sure if I will become infertile after chemo, but now, I have a back-up method of having biological children. So thanks, Lance Armstrong for making it possible for me to have a baby.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment